Monday, July 6, 2009

Nice Job, Andy!


I was sitting on the couch yesterday flipping through the channels and I happened to turn to the Wimbledon finals between Andy Roddick and Roger Federer during the tie breaker of the 2nd set. I was hooked. Let me add that the ONLY time that I watch tennis is during Wimbledon and my wife NEVER watches tennis (in fact she makes fun of it whenever she gets a chance). But, like I said, I was hooked.


We sat there and watched a battle between two great players. One who is the best in the world and one who was giving everything that he had to beat the best in the world. It was back and forth. Just when you thought that it was over and Federer was going to win, here comes Andy with amazing heart and determination to fight right back.


Then came the fifth set. My wife and I were glued to the TV, yelling and the Andy, yelling at Roger, yelling at the chair judge, yelling at the computer instant replay (which looks VERY fake). The last set was battle of wills between the two athletes. Every time the set was tied, I was thinking, 'Alright Andy, all you have to do is break his serve this game and then there's no way that he can stop your serve because he hasn't done it at all this whole match. So, just break his serve, dominate the following game with your power and you've got it wrapped up.'


Didn't happen. Roger Federer proved why he is the best. But, DO NOT take anything away from Andy Roddick. That guy gave everything he had and it showed after the match. He was spent (and that's the best image in sports when at the end of the match or game the players look like they have nothing left because they left it all out on the playing field).


So, congratulations Roger and don't give up Andy. You WILL win there one of these years!

No comments:

Post a Comment